Web Wednesday – 6/25/08
Posted by ibleedblue040 on June 24, 2008
– The first rumor from this past week that I have heard is that DeAndre Liggins, a member of Kentucky’s 2008 recruiting class, has reached eligibility status after recieving his much anticipated test scores. A message board poster made the claim that he knows someone in the UK admitance field and they said he had qualified, but those claims have been put to bed by Catspause.com’s Matt May in this article. According to Liggins’ high school coach they are still awaiting the test results.
– Another rumor circling the net is that Josh Harrellson is not playing very well down at UK. Several posters on the House of Blue have stated that during the latest UK Father/Son Basketball Camp that he played poorly and was upset with his playing time and what not. Another poster who actually has valid information alot has stated that he talked directly to Harrellson and he said that he is just frustrated that he is not getting as much PT as he would like, cry me a river JH.
Recruiting Trail – Scholarships for everyone Edition
– Roscoe Smith, a 2010 recruit from Maryland, said in an interview yesterday that UK has offered him a scholarship. Smith has not played very much AAU ball this summer, instead he has chosen to work on academics and his personal game. Smith has some pretty impressive offers from the likes of Connecticut, Florida State, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Texas, Texas A&M, and Virginia. He stands 6’6″ 185 lbs. and averaged 23.0 pts, 11 reb, and 7 asst per game last season.
– Another player that has claimed an offer from UK is a fellow 2010 player, Josh Smith. Smith is a HUGE kid at 6’9″ 265 lbs. and he plays on the same AAU team as UofL commit Peyton Siva. Many have said that it will be very difficult to keep Josh Smith from the west coast, similar to 2009 standout Renardo Sidney.
– The internet has been EXPLODING with talk about Daniel Orton, the #1 center in the country and unanimous top 10 player. In an interview with Kentucky Sports Radio’s Matt Jones, Orton said:
There has been some speculation that Kentucky is your leader, is that true?
Yeah, Kentucky is kinda my leader. I like them a whole lot.
Why is it that Kentucky is your leader at this point?
I mean its just a crazy place for basketball. When I went to their Elite Camp, I flew in and got there really late because there was a flight delay. So I got to the hotel at like 3 a.m. and then the next day when I got up, I walked in the lobby and there were these fans there who knew who I was and said to come to Kentucky. I mean that is just crazy. They have such great fans.
Are there any other schools that stand out for you right now?
No, the other schools are really equal.
Orton has been considered the best center nationwide for over a year now and he would be a HUGE get for this staff. Orton was asked in an interview with Scout.com’s Evan Daniels if anyone was sticking out, and he responded, “Probably just Kentucky.”. This is really big news for all UK followers because UK has not landed a top flight center since 2003 when we got Randolph Morris.
– Another 2010 prospect, Harrison Barnes, said in an interview with KentuckyInk’s Marc Maggard that he really likes UK and they are among his favorite schools. Maggard has said that UK is in very good position for Barnes, a future 5-star player.
Video of the Week
This entry was posted on June 24, 2008 at 4:45 pm and is filed under Basketball, Basketball Recruiting, Web Wednesday. Tagged: 2009, 2010, Daniel Orton, DeAndre Liggins, Evan Daniels, Harrison Barnes, Josh Harrellson, Josh Smith, Kentucky Baskteball, KentuckyInk, Marc Maggard, Matt May, Peyton Siva, Roscoe Smith. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.