Recruiting Trail/NBA Update
Posted by ibleedblue040 on April 20, 2009
A few things from the recruiting aspect over the past couple of days:
- Coach Calipari has already met with Harrison Barnes, a top player from the 2010 class, once this period but is scheduled to meet with him again today
- It looks as though Xavier Henry and CJ Henry will NOT be visiting UK before making a decision. Many people believe they are UK bound and are waiting until the end of this week or next week to make a decision
- Speculation is that Patrick Patterson may stay in the 2009 draft because of his draft stock currently. One site has him going 22nd to the Dallas Mavericks. I believe if he is a top 20 pick he will leave, if not he will come back and spend a year in a pro-style system before leaving.
- Jodie Meeks appears to be coming back. I believe he realizes that one year under guard-master Calipari could benefit him tremendously and it would only help his draft stock.
- John Wall still has not hinted at cutting down his list even though he stated he would after the Jordan Brand Classic. He does seem to be favoring a few schools. I believe his final three is: UK, Duke, & NC State.
Kentucky is in a very good position for Wall because the system that will be implemented there will fit his style perfectly and will help him have a Derrick Rose/Tyreke Evans-type season. Wall has also built a tremendous relationship over the past year or so with new UK head coach John Calipari, which is one of the selling points according to Wall. Also, the facilities and distance from home are great too.
Duke has made up a considerable amount of ground over the past two months. After a meeting with Coach K a few weeks ago, Wall came away very impressed and sold on the idea of running the point for a potential national title contender like Duke. Duke is also very close to home and would allow him to be near his mother, who is sick. Duke also has two fellow Jordan Brand Classic participants attending there next season who have been on him about coming.
North Carolina State
NC State has always been close to the Wall recruitment. They were actually the first major D-I school to start recruiting Wall and he has been on numerous visits to their campus in his high school career. He is from Raleigh, NC, the same city as NC State which is also a selling point. He has built a very good relationship with the NCSTU staff and loves the community.