UK/Georgia Post Game Notes
Posted by ibleedblue040 on January 10, 2010
First off, its great to be back writing the blog since I have been away for many many months. The Cats pulled out another game against a far-inferior team, again showing their ability to close out games better than UK has in the past five years. Ashley Judd was in the house for her first game of the season and many top recruits were there as well—CJ Leslie (2010), Quincy Miller (2011), Nick Johnson (2011), as well as the entire Word of God and Quality Education basketball teams.
Now, onto the notes:
– I was very impressed how the Cats were able to get out to a quick start against a team that tried to slow the pace as much as Georgia did, granted it did not always look pretty, UK still took an early 11 point lead before letting UGA take a 1 point lead into halftime
– DeMarcus Cousins again was not able to stay out of foul trouble, getting two fouls in the first 11 minutes of the game. But even through the foul trouble “Big Cuz” still managed 16 points and 7 rebounds
– Although he was not his usual, flashy self, John Wall still played a great game in my opinion. With 3 turnovers in this game, Wall has only 11 turnovers over his last four games, as opposed to 18 in the previous four.
– I was very disappointed in Darnell Dodson AND Darius Miller today. Dodson took a few bad shots, which is nothing new, but also played probably the worst defensive game a Wildcat has played this season. He consistently allowed his man to beat him off the dribble and to gather offensive rebounds around the basket. Miller still needs to be much more aggressive offensively or Ramon Harris and DeAndre Liggins will take his minutes.
– That brings me to my next point, DeAndre Liggins. Liggins was the most impressive player in the game to me. He had six points and three steals in only 14 minutes and was again the best on-ball defender today.
– The last note. I was disappointed in the overall rebounding by the Wildcats today. UK has been one of the best, and most dominating, rebounding teams in the nation to this point but got outrebounded by a small Georgia team. One excuse is that both DeMarcus Cousins and Daniel Orton got in foul trouble and Perry Stevenson has never been known as a dominant rebounder.
Quincy Miller, a 5-star combo forward out of the 2011 class, was sitting behind the UK bench rocking a UK hoodie today. He was joined by the Cats top 2010 target CJ Leslie. Leslie was a teammate of current UK star John Wall last season at Word of God Academy (NC) and has said that Wall has been recruiting him to choose UK.