Kentucky got a more-than-impressive win tuesday night in front of over 24,000 fans in Rupp Arena.
DeMarcus Cousins led the Cats with 18 points and 13 rebounds—fourth consecutive double-double—in a 85-75 win over the Mississippi Rebels.
Sparked by an early 15-0 run, the Wildcats took a quick 18-point lead before once again letting the large advantage slip away, down to only a 9-point edge at the half.
Coach John Calipari must have said something about taking quality shots during his halftime speech because Kentucky got John Wall (17 points and 7 assists) and sharp-shooter Darnel Dodson (4-4 3PT) involved in the shooting early. Dodson nailed two threes in the first three minutes of the second half and it created a confusion on the defensive end for the Rebels.
The win over Ole Miss pushes Kentucky’s record to 21-1 overall and 6-1 in the SEC. More importantly, the win puts the Cats at 6-0 vs. ranked opponents, a mark that is tops in the nation.
– With 13 rebounds against Ole Miss, DeMarcus Cousins now has 216 on the season, pushing him past Rick Robey for 3rd in rebounding by freshmen. He should pass Chris Mills (277) and Sam Bowie (276) by the end of the season.
– Darnell Dodson scored 14 points tuesday including 4-4 from behind the arc. Dodson has scored in double-figures and hit at least 4 three pointers in back-to-back games
– The 21 assists the Cats had ties their mark against Sam Houston State for the third-most this season
– By scoring 46 points in the first half, the Cats set a season-high for first-half points
– With the win, UK moves to 97-12 (.889) all-time vs. Ole Miss including winning 11 of the last 12 matchups